Job Title: TIR Clerk (Terminal Operations)
Department: Terminal Operations
Office Name: Jacintoport International
Address: 16398 Jacintoport Blvd
Postal Code: 77015
This position is responsible for manually recording, receiving all export and/or inbound deliveries of containerized cargo and empty containers for the General Cargo Terminal Operations. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must be willing to be trained
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must learn the TIR Lane functions within 90 days of hire
- Must be able to obtain HAZMAT certification within 90 days from hire
- Must have the ability to read, write, and speak Intermediate English; fully conversational skills required.
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast paced, team oriented work environment
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Must have the ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
- Must be able to work (flexible hours) extended hours including nights, overtime, weekends and holidays
- A minimum one (1) year of experience working in an industrial environment such as warehouse or marine terminal as a shipping and receiving clerk, including verifying cargo.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all functions in accordance with operating and safety guidelines
- Perform a visual inspection of the truck and equipment for obvious mechanical and structural deficiencies or damage (such as broken tail or indicator lights, condition of the tires and mud flaps, the validity of the license plates and the currency of the required annual highway inspection and any obvious tears or rips in the container to ensure that it is roadworthy)
- Verbally report all discrepancies and/or damages to immediate supervisor
- Sign documentation and coordinate location and transfer to deliver inbound cargo
- Verify HAZMAT documentation is accurate
- Work on handheld computer utilizing AS400 computer software
- Maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards and awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Subject to physical screening is required along with other tests as applicable
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, bend forward, squat, twist, pinch and reach overhead
- The employee is frequently required to reach forward, exercise repetitive foot and wrist motion and finger dexterity
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination
- The employee is occasionally required to lift, carry, push and pull up to 20 pounds
- The employee is regularly required to use their fingers
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Walking Foreman and does not exercise supervision over any other position.
- Outdoors, exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind and high humidity during day and night shifts
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.