Job Title: Longshore Worker I
Office Name: Jacintoport International
Address: 16398 Jacintoport Blvd
Postal Code: 77015
This labor-intensive position is responsible for working with the handling, loading, and discharging of cargoes in the General Cargo Vessel Stevedoring department. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Experience in any of the following: performing labor work in a marine terminal, warehouse or yard environment, baggage handling, heavy weight package handling, manual loading and unloading from trailers, railcars or trucks. To include frequently pushing, pulling, carrying and lifting in excess of 50 lbs. and occasionally exerting in excess of 100 lbs.
- Must be able to adhere to a standby schedule which includes day and night scheduling, overtime, weekends and holidays.
- Must have the ability to read, write, and speak basic English
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast paced, team-oriented work environment
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Must have the ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all manual labor functions in accordance within the GC/Vessel Stevedoring operation and safety guidelines
- Work with forklift basket up to heights of around 14 feet to place or remove container hooks or strapping used for lifting containers, pipes and general cargo
- Secure cargo with chains/binders when preparing for lifting
- Strap cargo by utilizing lashings, container hooks, wire rope weighing in excess of 100 lbs to assure safe operation
- Report any unsafe or damaged cargo to supervisor
- Follow instructions and signals when cargo is being lifted or lowered on ground or vessel
- Maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards and awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people, equipment, etc.) at all times.
- Operate power industrial and material handling equipment, such as 9K or 10K forklifts to organize cargo on the dock, and operate chain saw to secure and unsecure cargo
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Physical Screening required along with other tests as applicable
- Employee is required to perform an abundance of physical manual labor
- The employee must exert an excess of 100 lbs of force occasionally and an excess of 50 lbs of force frequently.
- The employee must frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lift and carry up to 110 lbs.
- The employee is required to frequently push and pull over 100 lbs.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, climb, forward bend, operate controls and perform simple and firm hand grasping
- The employee is frequently required to squat, twist, forward and overhead reach
- The employee is required to occasionally, perform finger dexterity and pinch
- The employee is continuously required exercise eye-hand coordination, eye-hand-foot coordination, exercise repetitive wrist/foot motion.
- Must be able to work at heights
- The employee is required to talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Stevedoring Superintendent, Hatch and Walking Foreman and does not exercise supervision over any other position.
- Outdoors, exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind and high humidity during day and night shifts
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high
- May work in confined or cluttered work areas, such as docks
- The employee will walk on various surfaces, varying terrain and under varying light conditions
- Moderate vibration with use of hydraulic seating system
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.