Job Title: Yard Mule Driver
Office Name: Jacintoport International
Address: 16398 Jacintoport Blvd
Postal Code: 77015
This position is responsible for moving different commodities, utilizing heavy equipment, and performing a variety of physical & labor-intensive tasks within the terminal. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must have one (1) year experience driving one or more of the following heavy equipment: mule jockey, tractor trailer, Empty Handler, or Toploader
- Must be able to efficiently maneuver the selected heavy equipment during the practice exam.
- Must be able to successfully complete on the job training to drive other heavy equipment such as 9K Forklift, 30K/52K Forklift, Toploader/Empty Handler within the first year of employment.
- Must be able to handle safely and efficiently heavy containerized, palletized, or loose cargoes in a high volume, fast paced environment
- Must possess previous experience performing a variety of physical & labor-intensive tasks
- Must be able to obtain HAZMAT certification within 30 days of start date
- Must be able to obtain Transportation Worker’s Identification Credential (TWIC) within 60 days of start date
- Must have the ability to read, write, and speak Basic English
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast paced, team oriented work environment
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Must have the ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
- Must be able to work (flexible hours) extended hours including nights, overtime, weekends and holidays
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all functions in accordance with operation and safety guidelines
- Perform routine inspection on assigned equipment; refer defects or repairs to mechanic personnel
- Operate yard truck, 9K forklift, 30K forklift, 52K forklift Empty Handler and Toploader to properly transport containers, general cargo, including pipe and break bulk, within a specific time-frame from one location to another with the proper and safe care to avoid any damages or accidents
- Operate 9K 30K, and 52K forklift to load and discharge cargo from and to yard trucks
- Perform pre-shift mechanical inspection of assigned heavy equipment and immediately report any deficiencies to the Foreman, Stevedoring Superintendent and Mechanic Shop Supervisor
- Operate yard truck to pull, transport, load, and discharge break bulk or empty and loaded containers using standard equipment such as flatbed trailers, pipe trailers, and mafis.
- Couple and uncouple trailers by changing trailer jack positions, connecting or disconnecting air and electrical lines
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew and checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned
- Maintain constant communication with Foreman and co-workers to ensure that the correct load is moved at the right time and to the correct location
- Inform Foreman immediately if detected any damages and/or spoiled cargo before loading or unloading
- Perform general stevedoring duties depending on business volume and needs
- Maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards and awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times
- May maintain logs of loads and submit accurate daily shift activity report as requested by supervisor(s)
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Subject to physical and/or DOT screening is required along with other tests as applicable
- The employee is continuously required to sit (while driving), grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- The employee is frequently required to grasp, exercise repetitive wrist motion, and finger movement
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear
- The employee is frequently required to climb, balance, bend forward, squat, kneel, crawl, twist, pinch and reach overhead
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and exercise repetitive foot motion
- The employee is occasionally required to lift, carry, push and pull up to 110 pounds with assistance of another employee.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor and/or safety personnel
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Stevedoring Superintendent; Hatch & Walking Foremen. Does not exercise supervision over any other position.
- Outdoors, exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind, and high humidity during day and night shifts
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high
- Moderate vibration when operating equipment
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.