Job Title: Forklift Operator - Packaging
Department: Resin Warehouse
Office Name: Jacintoport International
Address: 16398 Jacintoport Blvd
Postal Code: 77015
This position is responsible to assist and take guidance/work assignments from packing foreman. Inspect rail cars and product, checking that all operations are operating correctly. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must have a minimum of 1 year experience operating a 5K forklift
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information
- Must have the ability to read, write, and speak Basic English
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast paced, team oriented work environment
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Must have the ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
- Must be able to work flexible schedule (Swing Shifts, from either 6am-6pm or 6pm-6am including weekends, holidays and/or extended hours as needed). Rotate shifts night/day – every other week
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all functions in accordance with operation and safety guidelines
- Assist and take guidance/work assignments from the packaging foreman
- Responsible for pulling rail car samples and giving them to the foreman for approval
- Assist in the inspection of rail cars and product before starting the packaging operation
- Maintain a clean and organized work area, free of debris or safety hazards and awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times
- Assist in making sure all pre-start up items are completed before starting up the line. (Rail car vented, proper clean up between rail cars, purge, pack out matches the packing instructions. Actual Rail car number matches the car listed on pack out &pallet labels match the pack out)
- Bag sizing, image printer with proper markings, bag weights, glue distribution, palletize & stretch wrapper settings
- Operate forklift to reposition pallets, organizing pallets within warehouse, transporting empty pallets to packaging line.
- Operate forklift to reposition empty film, stretch wrap and slip sheets
- Keep checking all operations assuring Rail Car is packaged correctly
- Assist Packaging Foreman to assure the rail car is completely empty and the pack out count is correct
- Responsible for communicating with the Maintenance Tech with any problems that may occur with the packaging equipment
- Subject to physical and/or DOT Screening is required along with other tests as applicable
- The employee is continuously required to exercise eye-hand-foot coordination
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, forward reach, grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to use finger dexterity and pinch
- The employee is required to occasional sit, forward bend, squat, twist and perform overhead reach
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear
- The employee is occasionally required to lift and carry up to 55lbs. and push and pull frequently up to 28 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Packaging Foreman and receives guidance from the Resin Business Manager. Employee does not exercise supervision over any other position.
- Position indoors in an uncontrolled environment exposed to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, rain, wind, and high humidity during day and night shifts
- The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high
- Moderate vibration with use of hydraulic seating system
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.