Job Title: Forklift Operator - Small (Terminal)
Department: Terminal Operations
Office Name: Jacintoport International
Address: 16398 Jacintoport Blvd
Postal Code: 77015
This position is responsible for moving different commodities within the Terminal utilizing a forklift. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must have a one (1) year minimum experience operating a 5k-9K forklift.
- Must be able to efficiently maneuver the selected forklift during the practice exam.
- Must be able to successfully complete on the job training to drive other heavy equipment such as 9K/10K/30K/52K and Yard Mule within the first year of employment.
- Must have previous experience handling of various types, sizes and grades of pipes.
- Must have the ability to read, write, and speak basic English
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast paced, team-oriented work environment
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Must have the ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
- Must be able to work flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and/or extended hours as needed
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all functions in accordance with operation and safety guidelines
- Review and implement the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) guidelines on daily basis to ensure compliance with safety, and warehouse storing procedures
- Inspect forklift before operating making sure it is safe to operate and manually complete the forklift maintenance checklist
- Operate 5K forklift equipment to safely and efficiently transport, relocate material and move loaded pallets to the loading docks and place into export containers or trailers.
- Maintain constant communication with supervisor and co-workers to ensure that the correct load is moved at the right time and to the correct location
- Inform supervisor immediately if detected any damages and/or spoiled cargo before loading or unloading
- Ensure that cargo is loaded in appropriate container for shipment.
- Uses snips to open boxes, removes strapping and wrapping and disposes safely in designated containers or areas.
- Place protective materials around load and uses appropriate tools to secure load for final shipment to customer.
- Compare pallet ID label number with lot number to make sure that there are no discrepancies before loading pallets into containers or trailers.
- Use RF (Radio Frequency) hand held computer system to track work performed and inventory
- Maintain a clean and organize work area, free of debris or safety hazards and awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times
- Compiles bill of ladings and/or dock receipts from customer specifications and necessary paperwork as needed for shipments.
- Provide assistance to the bagging assembly line by manually stacking 110lbs bags onto pallet and moving or transporting them to designated locations, operating 10K forklift equipment
- Operate 10K forklift equipment to move or transport different commodities, including pallets containing 110 lbs bags or 54lbs vegetable oil boxes, and flat racks, within a specific time frame from one location to another with the proper and safe care to avoid any damages or accidents
- Checks and arranges for regular maintenance of forklift.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable.
- The employee is continuously required to sit, grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, twist, reach forward, exercise repetitive foot and wrist motion and finger dexterity.
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, bend forward, squat, reach overhead and pinch.
- The employee must frequently carry up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and carry up to 75 pounds and occasionally push and pull up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Chief Clerk and receives guidance from the Walking Foreman. Employee does not exercise supervision over any other position.
- Indoor and Outdoor environment, exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, wind, rain, and high humidity during day and night shifts
- The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high
- Moderate vibration with use of hydraulic seating system
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.