Job Title: Laborer
Department: BAG Warehouse
Office Name: Jacintoport International
Address: 16398 Jacintoport Blvd
Postal Code: 77015
This position is responsible for performing a variety of physical & labor tasks, including manual loading and unloading containers and railcars within the Bagged Support Warehouse and Stevedoring Department. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must have prior manual labor experience
- Must have the ability to manually load and unload railcars, truck and stuffing containers
- Must be able to perform in a fast and physically demanding work area involving heavy manual work
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information
- Must have the ability to read, write and speak Basic English
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast paced, team oriented work environment
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Must have the ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
- Must be able to work (flexible hours) long hours including nights, overtime, weekends and holidays
- One (1) year experience operating 5K/10K forklift
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all functions in accordance with operation and safety guidelines
- Manually load and unload railcars, truck and stuffing containers with a variety or cargo weighing up to 110 lbs. (50 kilos).
- Perform physical labor function of manually loading warehouse feeding belts with 110lb. (50 kilo) bags being sent to vessel.
- Perform physical labor function of manually loading warehouse transfer belts with pulling 55lb. (25 kilo) and 110lb (50 kilo) bags being sent to vessel.
- Perform physical labor function of manually loading, unloading, pushing and pulling 55lb. (25 kilo) and 110lb (50 kilo) bags from conveyor belt line into vessel.
- Perform physical labor function of manually loading, unloading, pushing and pulling 55lbs. (25 kilo) and 110lb. (50 kilos) bags containing various food commodities to and from trucks, railcars, containers and pallets for loading or staging operations.
- Perform physical labor function of manually loading, unloading, pushing and pulling 55lb. (25 kilo) boxes of vegetable oil.
- Inform Supervisor immediately if any damages are detected that will result in spillage or spoilage.
- Grasp and guide empty bags into cargo spout making sure the machine retains the bag while it is being filled with the product.
- Observe sewed bags and cut excess thread found on the top corner of filled bag
- Receive training to perform the Bag Thrower function
- Perform general warehouse cleanup and maintenance tasks as assigned
- Maintain a clean work area, free of debris or safety hazards and awareness of surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people, equipment, etc.) at all times
- Operate tugs within the warehouse to relocate cargo
- Operate 5K/10K forklift to load/unload empty and full pallets
- Occasionally work to assist in a wide variety of Longshore worker assignments within the Stevedoring department
- Operate sweeper machine within the warehouse to remove debris and maintain a safe and hazardous free environment
- Perform repairs and cleanup of pallets
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Subject to physical and/or Screening as required along with other tests as applicable
- The employee is required to occasionally lift and carry up to 110 lbs. and frequently push and pull up to 75 lbs. of force
- The employee is continuously required to exercise eye-hand-foot coordination
- The employee frequently required to stand, walk, forward bend, squat, forward reach, grasp and exercise repetitive wrist motion and eye-hand coordination
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, overhead reach and exercise repetitive foot motion, pinch and finger dexterity
- The employee is occasionally required to talk and hear
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Warehouse Superintendent of Operations and foreman exercise supervision over any other position.
- Warehouse environment, exposure to all possible environmental factors such as extreme heat, wind and high humidity during day and night shifts
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high
- Moderate vibration when operating equipment
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.